Meet the Lead Pastor Selection Team
QUESTION | Who are the Members of the Lead Pastor Selection Team?
ANSWER | The Selection Team is composed of members who are fully engaged in our ministry – active in various parts of our ministry and are a wide representation of our church body
Selection Team Members:
- Pat Rundall, Scott Beckwith, Jonathan Compton, Tom Greenwald (MLB members)
- Beth Hinson, Jessie Borkowski, Ward Leek, Bo Xie, Julie Haverly
- Mark Henderson (non-voting)
- Brad Heemstra – on-call as needed
QUESTION | What is the role of the selection team and where are they at in the process?
ANSWER | A key role of the selection team is to pray for God’s will for our body and to call the membership to please pray with us!
- The team wants input from our members. Please share with us your questions, thoughts, and observations.
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Webpage: ccames.org/transition
3 Step Process: At the end of this 3 step process, The Selection Team provides a recommendation to the MLB. The MLB presents a candidate to the Congregation for approval.
- Lead pastor profile approved in May
- Internal Analysis – this summer
- External Search
QUESTION | What are some of the ground rules for the work of the Selection Team?
ANSWER | Here is a list of some of the ground rules that the Selection Team has discussed and committed to holding each other too.
- Check your bias at the door. Don’t jump to a conclusion.
- Focus more on discernment than on making a decision. Seek wisdom and discernment.
- Remember that you are representing others in your stage/demographic.
- Think about the future of our church. Focus on the next generation while leading the older generation.
- Trust the process. Our process has 3 stages:
- Profile Development
- Internal Analysis
- External Search
- Be transparent and open. We need to be candid and honest.
- We will maintain confidentiality in all matters – including discussions with our spouse.
- The pastor profile, as approved by the Congregation, will be used as the primary means to evaluate the priority listing of our prospects.
- We will not “rush” the process.
- We will avoid questioning candidates one-on-one.
- We will require a unanimous vote of the selection team regarding the final recommendation of a pastor to the MLB using the 100%/80% rule.
QUESTION | What progress has the Selection Team made already?
ANSWER | The Selection Team has already met 3 times. These meetings have accomplished the following:
- Get to know each other – and working through having honest conversations
- Ensuring that all voices are heard
- Talk through what consensus will look like
- Organizing questions to ask candidates
- Working through our role and soliciting input