Letters Study #3
This week’s teaching unpacked the truth that, when we embrace the love of Christ, we will also embrace the way of life that Christ loves.
Get STARTED — Talk about who in your life has modeled this truth for you? Think of someone that because of the generous and transforming love of Jesus, they generously loved others.
- Who was it?
- What imprint on your life?
- Why was his/her imprint head-and-shoulders over others? God’s hand in this?
- What fruit was born in their life through that generous love?
Explore the WORD — Paul is writing Ephesians to a group of believers that needed to see and hear about the scope of God’s plan for all people, Jew and Gentile. This plan was once a mystery, but now is fulfilled for all in Jesus. As you read chapter 4, follow the study method (OPA) below, paying attention to the noted themes.
Themes to keep an eye out for:
- Unity in the body- Through the power of the Spirit we’re compelled to bear with each other in humility and gentleness.
- New life – In Jesus we are made new.
- “Put away /off” & “Put on” – Paul will use these to phrases to give clarity to how this “newness” is to be lived out.
Observations – Make 7-10 observations from the passage.
- What stands out to you? (Words that are repeated, places, people, ideas, or questions that you might have.)
Principles – From your list of observations, write out 2-4 principles (truths) that stand out in this passage.
Application (Prioritize APPLICATION) — From your list of principles, which 1-2 truths does the Lord want you to apply to your life this week?
- Remember, a good application is memorable and measurable.
- Consider: How does this help or push me to embrace the way of Jesus more specifically this week?
NOTE: This week’s LETTERS READING PLAN calls for the reading of 1 Corinthians throughout this week.