How About Serving Jesus and His Body?
Serve Right Now with T.A.B.
Another wave of COVID-19 infections is beaching in our population, and central Iowa is not being spared. A recent AARP study showed that the COVID-19 pandemic has “spurred a rise in social isolation and loneliness, reaching epidemic proportions.” As social isolation persists, it has “serious implications for mental and physical health.”
Thinking rightly of us as a body of believers eager to demonstrate care and love for one another (1 John 4:7), Christ Community is spearheading a spot-on serving opportunity under the acronym TAB (Talk And Befriend).
Simply described, the TAB team will make weekly contact with members of our church family who are most at risk of social isolation. The goals of TAB are:
- To care for and encourage those in our Christ Community Church family who are most at risk due to the restrictions of the pandemic – the elderly, singles, widows, and those with special needs
- To provide a relatively simple and clear method for Christ Community members to reach out and help the most vulnerable in our midst
- To build caring connections within the Christ Community family, loving each other well during a trying time and conveying clearly that we care for one another
JOINING THE TAB TEAM
TALK AND BEFRIEND. Those words summarize what we believe can happen between those who make calls and those who receive calls. Each TAB team member will be paired with one or two vulnerable individuals and “keep tabs” on them through weekly calls. The encouragement and prayers will flow both ways, principally across the telephone lines!
Focusing as we have on CHOOSE GREATNESS—SERVE in October and November, I can’t think of a better way to step into such a timely ministry and truly make a difference.
- Do you know someone who fits the criteria and could use a call?
- Do you wish you could help the vulnerable in our congregation during this unsettling pandemic time? Could you spare an hour a week to call those who are most isolated?
If you answer yes to any of these questions, contact Allison Greenwald (515-231-7049 or firstname.lastname@example.org). Pass on your information and consider signing up for a 30 minute Zoom orientation session for TAB Team volunteers—9 AM on Saturday, Nov. 21, or 11 AM on Sunday, Nov. 22.
The greatest among us serve! Consider joining the team.